- Today around 1.5 million documents are managed with Alfresco
- A total of 250 users at various locations are now able to search a single repository to access documentation quickly and easily
- Improved versioning and storage controls has rationalised document management and enabled improved compliance against legal requirements
- A ‘store once, always available to many’ approach to content management has been made a reality
- Claims are now more efficiently managed, resulting in lower administration costs and improved customer satisfaction
VIS Insurance Ltd (VIS)
VIS (Vátryggingafélag Íslands) Ltd is one of Iceland’s leading providers of non-life insurance services, offering a broad range of insurance products for individuals, companies, institutions and local authorities.
Employing around 250 people and 30 service agents, the company serves around 82,000 domestic customers via an extensive branch network of 42 offices nationwide. Alongside a central claims service centre in Reykjavik, VIS also operates call centres in Reykjavik and Akureyri. Each year VIS employees service an average of 30,000 liability claims.
VIS offers a complete set of insurance services in various segments including property, marine, motor, liability, personal accident as well as reinsurance. Daily operations involved managing standard customer relations and claims, which was previously undertaken through manual processes.
With documents stored in multiple locations, including file systems and legacy applications, delays, gaps in data and poor knowledge transfer were endemic to the claims management process. This resulted in inefficiencies that were driving higher costs and generating additional and unnecessarily complex administration tasks for employees.
VIS needed to implement a document management solution that would make it easier to:
- Deliver documentation via one user interface
- Centralise documentation into a single repository for easy retrieval by users across the organisation
- Enable indexing to support the fast search and retrieval of documents
- Utilise scanning and imaging to introduce paperless working
- Enable auditing of documentation in line with compliance requirements.
Streamlining document management would represent a key step in enabling VIS to automate and integrate its claims management, insurance and notification processes.
Having initially assessed SharePoint as a potential option, VIS ultimately took the decision to implement Alfresco Enterprise as the solution that best met its short and longer term organisational needs.
As an open source solution Alfresco delivered all the flexibility VIS required to enable fast integration with its other systems, including a bespoke event management system and Django, a web framework application.
Thanks to Alfresco’s highly extensible character, VIS will be able to scale and evolve its document management in line with planned operational evolutions as the company continues its mission to streamline management of the entire customer lifecycle.
“In just three months we were able to customise the data model and APIs [application programming interface] contained in Alfresco exactly to our needs. Following this it took another three months to migrate documents stored in a variety of locations and create a single unified document repository,” explains Andrew Taylor, Software Engineer.
VIS has been able to use Alfresco to apply common metadata that makes it easy to organise, search and track the 1.5 million documents now contained in its central repository. Furthermore, Alfresco has made enhanced compliance possible thanks to powerful integration with an event management system that for the first time enables VIS to audit the creation, modification and deletion of documents.
Using Alfresco, VIS has been able to:
- Simplify the task of acquiring, storing and accessing data
- Support the automation of more than 45 processes used for claim requests
- Enable employees to follow up and interact faster with colleagues, leading to the faster and improved management of claim cases.
The overall improvement of the claim management process has lead to enhanced customer satisfaction, while increased staff productivity has significantly lowered the overheads associated with claims management.