Senior Technical Author
Senior Technical Author
Alfresco is the open platform for business critical document management and collaboration. By automating document-intensive business processes and enabling large-scale collaboration, Alfresco helps companies to service customers better and adapt more quickly to rapid market changes. Every day, over 7 million business users in 75 countries rely on Alfresco to manage 4 billion documents, files and processes - behind the firewall, in the cloud and even on their mobile devices.
Who we are looking for?
You will be a technical communicator with substantial experience of writing complex, technical documentation deliverables. You may be a developer with a flair for writing or an experienced Technical Author with in-depth knowledge and interest in software technology. You’ll be able to manage your own documentation projects, including planning, writing, and editing, through to on-time delivery. You’ll have a track record of professional technical writing and editing experience in a high-technology software or hardware industry.
This job would suit a strong team player with a “can-do” approach. You should be a self-starter with a desire to show ownership and commitment to the job. You’ll enjoy an informal office culture and be able to work with different personalities and temperaments.
What are you expected to do?
As a Senior Technical Author, you’ll be part of a small but thriving Documentation Team with responsibility for producing technical Alfresco documentation for end-user, system administration, and developer audiences. You’ll create high-quality Alfresco product documentation for technical users, describing complex software architectures and the administration of large Enterprise-scale production environments. We’ll expect you to own all phases of your documentation projects including researching and writing documentation, and also to take an active role in editing other technical communication.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Create installation, system administration, and reference documentation for a technical audience, with particular emphasis on deployment and administration
- Collaborate with software engineers, product managers, quality assurance engineers, and technical support engineers, and use pre-release software to create documentation
- Manage your own documentation projects, including scope and schedules, to deliver high quality documentation on time
- Create publications from scratch for major releases and maintain documentation for service-pack releases
- Write using high-quality technical documentation principles, following logical and structured writing techniques and by applying the Alfresco Documentation Guidelines
- Use DITA and the Alfresco authoring environment to generate multiple output formats
- Work independently but collaborate with, and contribute to the success of, the Documentation Team
- Represent the “users’ view” of the Alfresco product and best practices in documentation methodologies
Qualifications and Essential Skills Required
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Technical Communications, or any other applicable technical discipline
- Proven track record of professional technical writing and editing experience in a high-technology industry
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Specific knowledge of major technologies or in-depth technical knowledge of managing Enterprise-scale systems
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of commercial software development lifecycle
- Knowledge of DITA XML
- Knowledge of an Open Source programming environment
- Competitive compensation package and benefits
- Highly challenging, rewarding and truly dynamic environment, built on respect for the individual, autonomy, team engagement and a professional yet relaxed atmosphere
- Ability to impact the business and your own career through your work and our growth
- As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability
Freedom to act
This role will report to the Documentation Manager, although it is expected that the individual will work largely independently and need minimal supervision.
Some travel may be required for this role but not essential.