Escalation Support Engineer
Alfresco is the world’s leader in open source enterprise content management. Our business is built around the most valuable information to every business: your content.
We take the best innovation from the open source community and test and certify the technology for use in the most trusted environments. It allows us to produce higher quality faster and at a lower cost, and keeps our customers free from proprietary lock-in. For more information please see: http://www.alfresco.com
Based at either our Maidenhead, UK or Atlanta, USA Support Centers Alfresco Support Engineers need to be versatile and since Alfresco is Open Source, our Support Engineers also need to be code literate, able to contribute to the code, provide a high level of expertise and an exceptional quality of service to our partners, external and internal customers
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of the diverse technologies that make up the Alfresco product in order to be able to understand and potentially refactor problematic code components, tune performance and devise diagnostic tools.
- Able to take full ownership of specified technology, customer or process issues without supervision, to develop excellent relationships, and help in continuously improving the support service to increase customer satisfaction
- Provide best practice advice, identify potential workarounds and liaise with Engineering to ensure the fastest possible resolution
- Ensure that only quality escalations are passed through to Engineering for resolution
- Actively mentor the support team, both individually and in groups, to ensure the best outcome for customers
- Proactively manage self-learning to continually extend knowledge breadth and depth, particularly around new technology or product.
- Continuously provide new information or knowledge to the WW support team
- A passion for customers and a strong interest and desire to handle a variety of technical issues from the very basic through the ambiguous to highly complex and political
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to work independently, learn quickly and be proactive
- Proven problem solving ability in both business and technical environments
- Ability to make engineering code changes, review customer code, write scripts and debuggers to aid in problem resolution and make re-usable as needed
- Ability to trace and debug Web applications / J2EE
- Core Java (JDK 1.6+, multi threading), SQL
- Perform analysis and tune operating system and web technology performance
- Understanding of network protocol layers, security layers and domain models
- Alfresco ACA and ACE certification
- An understanding of Enterprise Content Management
- Familiarity with Spring Surf, Servlets and Portlets
- Authentication Technologies: LDAP, Kerberos, SSL
- Familiarity with Virtualization technology, VMWare, etc.
- Experience with the Lucene (or SOLR) Text Search Engine
- Java Performance Tuning (YourKit, JProfiler)
- Clustering and distributed caching
- Knowledge of a scripting language
- Competitive compensation package
- Highly challenging and rewarding environment
- Ability to impact the business
- As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Freedom to act
This role will report to the Global Operations Director although it is expected that the individual will work largely independently and need minimal supervision.
Some travel may be required for this role
Maidenhead, United Kingdom; Atlanta, GA, USA