Alfresco’s New Enterprise Version 2.2 Powers Online Community Sites
Leading Web 2.0 Sites Use Alfresco to Deliver Community-Driven Web Experience
LONDON—May 13, 2008— Alfresco Software announced the release of Alfresco Enterprise 2.2, which in particular is designed to power Web 2.0 properties and online communities. New feature enhancements support the creation, deployment and update of scalable Web 2.0 sites that can be developed using any web application language. These enhancements are a result of the company’s work with the most advanced interactive sites in the entertainment, online gaming, sports, telecommunications and publishing industries. With this new release, companies can easily move beyond the traditional marketing oriented Web site to provide users with a rich and interactive site that fosters community and customer relationships around a product or service.
“The corporate website is moving from a product brochure to a community around that company’s product or service,” said John Newton, Alfresco CTO. “Alfresco is powering some of the leading web properties in the world and version 2.2 represents a milestone in this direction. By using open source, our customers can build highly interactive, community-driven sites that are easy to manage, scalable and cost effective.”
Industry leaders such as Electronic Arts, Activision and Sony Pictures Imageworks Interactive use Alfresco to provide advanced user experiences, create communities around their products, and deliver this at dramatically lower cost through the benefit of open source. These new community oriented product micro-sites need to be highly-scalable with the ability to integrate rich media with user generated content, and support rapid content updates for a fresh customer experience, while promoting a consistent brand.
Specific sites powered by Alfresco include:
- Online Gaming: http://www.easportsbig.com; http://www.activision.com
- Online Sports: http://www.easportsworld.com
- Online Learning: http://www.kaptest.com
- Online Publishing: http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu
Experience with these next generation websites has driven the enhancements in Alfresco Enterprise 2.2 including:
- Web Farm Deployment Configuration – supports advanced deployment rules for web 2.0 scalable, 3-tier web application architectures.
- Web Application Preview and Test – provides the ability to preview in-context changes to any web application, including PHP, Ruby, Groovy, STRUTS, JSF, TILES and .NET.
- Site Templating and Branching – enables rapid creation of new sites from existing templates and ability to baseline major site updates by branching existing site.
- Asset Reuse – allows content to be updated and shared across web projects.
Alfresco Enterprise is the certified build of Alfresco, designed for production environments in corporations and government organizations that are looking for a stable, supported application. It is certified against commercial as well as open source stacks and offers commercial Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
Alfresco Community is designed to be the research “Community Lab” for new features enabling developers to access a nightly build with the latest bleeding-edge functionality. It is unsupported by Alfresco and does not include the certification, QA (quality assurance) and services for production deployment.
Alfresco Enterprise 2.2 is immediately available for enterprise customers.