Alfresco Adds 470 New Enterprise Customers and Achieves Operating Profitability in 2010
2010 Highlighted by Innovation in Social Content Management and Open Source Workflow
LONDON – April 6, 2011 – Alfresco, the leading open source platform for social content management, today announced the closing of its 2010 fiscal year with significant year-over-year revenue growth and customer development. Highlighted by product innovation and the expansion of both Alfresco’s subscription base and global partner network, the company has increased its average order size; significantly improved renewal rates to 85 percent overall as well as expanded its global presence to 55 countries.
With over 470 new enterprise customers added this year, Alfresco now has sold to over 1,700 customers worldwide since 2005. Seventy percent of clients are enterprise companies with over 10,000 employees - while 25 percent of its base draws from government, followed by finance and media. Key clients gained in 2010 include: Home Depot, Endo Pharmaceuticals, Michelin and The National Health Service. Cumulatively, Alfresco has now sold just under $100M since its founding in 2005, saving customers between $750M - $1B in software licensing costs as they migrate from costly proprietary ECM vendors. In the fourth quarter alone, Alfresco grew 40 percent over the same quarter last year with overall annual growth over one-third.
"Alfresco has successfully leveraged the open source distribution model to become a disruptive force in the content management space," said Robin Vasan, Managing Director at Mayfield Fund. "Alfresco's strength is its rock-solid foundation of a globally scalable business - with blue-chip customers and committed partners all over the world and now they are leveraging that base to drive innovation in the cloud and social content management realms."
Alfresco’s key 2010 highlights include:
- Growth and 2010 profitability has been achieved on less than $20M of VC funding;
- Alfresco is now available in over 55 countries; securing its first large customers in China and India;
- Surpassed 3 million downloads of Alfresco Community Edition;
- Increased staff by 35% and appointed industry veteran, Todd Barr as new Chief Marketing Officer;
- Expanded operations in APAC and Americas, with new hires in both Sydney and Atlanta, Georgia offices;
- Named to InfoWorld’s Best of Open Source Software (Bossie) awards for third time in four years; and,
- Included in EContent Magazine’s list of 100 companies that matter most in the digital content industry for fifth consecutive year.
- Launched the industry’s first open source Social Content Management in Alfresco Enterprise 3.4;
- Launched Activiti BPM 2.0 Business Process Engine; announced hiring of leading BPM expert Tom Baeyens;
- Simplified replacement of legacy and proprietary ECM solutions with Alfresco Migration Services;
- Added collaborative web development, new tools for Spring developers, and content integration to enterprise portals to the Alfresco platform with release of Community 3.4; and,
- Delivered five new premium language packs: French, German, European Spanish, Italian, and Japanese.
Customer Support & Services Improvements
- Named Barry Duplantis VP of Customer Services to coordinate Alfresco customer support, training, consulting, and documentation projects across the globe;
- Held first annual Alfresco Developer Conferences in New York and Paris as well as first Content.Gov event in Washington, D.C.;
- Expanded training services with launch of e-Learning courses; and,
- Executed over 100 Lunch & Learn sessions in over 50 cities.
- Added 100 global system integrators (SI) and OEM partners during 2010; There has been approximately $1B in SI-related customization services revenue generated around the Alfresco platform since 2005
- Expanded Australian partner ecosystem to include SIs, named Barry Costin as Territory Manager for Australia and New Zealand; and,
- Promoted Boulder, Colorado-based Zia Consulting, Vancouver-based Appnovation, Austin-based Blue Fish Development Group, Boston-based Rothbury Software, Mexico City-based Think Hemisphere and Barcelona-based IN2 and to platinum partner status.
“Coming off our most successful fiscal year to date, we have invested heavily in expanding Alfresco’s global reach and service capability, while continuing to improve the most innovative ECM platform on the market. To achieve this we have focused on key global growth areas and extending our partner network to service these markets,” said John Powell, CEO of Alfresco. “We have used the open source model to propel our company and bring cost-effective software solutions to global enterprises. Now, with our investment in social content management, we are focused on optimizing and unlocking the power of content within organizations and from their most valued customers.”
For more information on social content management, please visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BbVv2yhuvo
Alfresco is the leading open platform for social content management. The platform combines the innovation of open source with the stability of a true enterprise-class platform, at a tenth of the cost of legacy ECM solutions. The Alfresco content platform uses a flexible architecture to provide document management, web content management, records management and social collaboration to customers and partners in 55 countries. Headquartered in London, Alfresco was founded in 2005 by a team of content management veterans including the co-founder of Documentum, John Newton, and former COO of Business Objects, John Powell.
Lois Paul & Partners
Alfresco is an enterprise open-source software company focused on advancing the flow of digital business. The company provides a better, more effortless way for people to work, making sure they have the information they need, exactly when they need it most. The Alfresco Digital Business Platform is an open, modern, secure platform that intelligently activates process and content to accelerate the flow of business. It provides the fastest path for people to interact with information and for companies to respond to changing business needs. Alfresco helps over 1300 industry-leading organizations build solutions where content finds users, processes dynamically adapt to changing needs enabling global companies to be more responsive and competitive. Alfresco’s customers include Cisco, Bank of NY Mellon, Liberty Mutual, Capital One, US Department of Navy, and NASA. Founded in 2005, Alfresco has U.S. headquarters in San Mateo, California and European headquarters in Maidenhead, UK. For more information on Alfresco, please visit http://www.alfresco.com.