Alfresco Delivers Open Source Governance, Retention and Compliance Solution
First Open Source Software to Obtain U.S. Department of Defense 5015.02 Records Management Certification
LONDON, UK. – October 14, 2009 – Alfresco Software, the leader in open source enterprise content management (ECM), today announced the immediate availability of the Alfresco Records Management Module, which also recently became the first open source software to pass the rigorous U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) 5015.02 standard certification. This module and certification enables Alfresco to extend its cost-effective open source records management and retention tools to support the governance, retention and compliance strategies of federal agencies, government bodies and commercial organizations.
Tweet this: #Alfresco delivers open source module for governance, retention, compliance with #DoD 5015.02 certification http://bit.ly/VxHGx
The 5015.02 standard defines the mandatory operational, legislative and regulatory requirements that must be met by any records management application products acquired by the DoD. With this certification, federal agencies can now take advantage of Alfresco as a cost-effective alternative to traditional records management solutions, which are typically priced on a per user basis. As a result, the Alfresco Records Management Module enables simple and active compliance across the entire enterprise.
Alfresco Records Management Module offers the following features and capabilities:
- Simple Single Repository – All content captured, managed and controlled in a single repository, enabling seamless integration with document and Web content management tools. This avoids the need for content transfer with potential loss of information and reduces the number of systems to administer;
- User-friendly Web-based Interface – Access to records management functionality through a Web-based interface, enabling greater user adoption with secure access from any location and no desktop installation; and,
- Easy Email Filing – Native support of IMAP protocol, enabling the filing of emails from any email client, without the need to install a plugin. Alfresco Records Management appears as a mail folder allowing users to simply file records with drag and drop or automated by the use of email rules.
In addition, the module’s functionality also includes:
- Enhanced permissions model based on user capabilities and roles;
- Full record lifecycles based on disposal schedules;
- Support for complex transfers;
- Support for Vital Records and their reviews;
- Search, workflow and hold tools to comply with transparency and Freedom of Information Act regulations;
- Ability to create a Hold record for legal or litigation; and,
- Saved searches to enhance user’s ability to find and manage records.
“Alfresco Records Management Module has the ability to transform the way in which government and commercial organizations approach their governance, retention and compliance strategies, as the open source pricing model will significantly reduce the barrier to regulatory compliance,” said John Newton, CTO of Alfresco Software. “The DoD standard has become a benchmark for electronic records management systems and this certification demonstrates our commitment to delivering cost-effective technology to help organizations preserve official records in accordance with the strict legal requirements needed to manage vital company information.”
Alfresco Records Management Module will be available for the Alfresco Enterprise Edition 3.2 before the end of the year.
Alfresco Records Management Module will be demonstrated at the Alfresco Meetup in Washington D.C. on October 20.
Alfresco Records Management Module v3.2 can be downloaded from: http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Download_Community_Edition
Alfresco is an enterprise open-source software company focused on advancing the flow of digital business. The company provides a better, more effortless way for people to work, making sure they have the information they need, exactly when they need it most. The Alfresco Digital Business Platform is an open, modern, secure platform that intelligently activates process and content to accelerate the flow of business. It provides the fastest path for people to interact with information and for companies to respond to changing business needs. Alfresco helps over 1300 industry-leading organizations build solutions where content finds users, processes dynamically adapt to changing needs enabling global companies to be more responsive and competitive. Alfresco’s customers include Cisco, Bank of NY Mellon, Liberty Mutual, Capital One, US Department of Navy, and NASA. Founded in 2005, Alfresco has U.S. headquarters in San Mateo, California and European headquarters in Maidenhead, UK. For more information on Alfresco, please visit http://www.alfresco.com.