New Alfresco Mobile Apps Enable Round-Trip Editing with Quickoffice Integration On iPad
First-ever Mobile Content App to Integrate with Quickoffice HD on iPad
London, 12 January 2012 — Alfresco, the open platform for social content management, today announced the availability of Alfresco Mobile 1.2 -- the newest version of its iOS apps for the iPhone and iPad. The apps are available today in the Apple App Store, for free to all Alfresco platform users.
The apps now enable round-trip editing of documents through an industry-first QuickofficeTM integration on the iPad, making it possible for business users to edit documents on their mobile device and save changes back to the Alfresco content store with full version control and without the hassle of manual processes. Not to mention, more robust capabilities will grow in demand as the iPad reaches further into the enterprise, a fact supported by this recent report from Forrester citing a 68 percent growth in iPad sales from the previous year by business customers in 2012.
Editing and version control have long been a major concern for IT departments and corporate users considering provisioning or using mobile devices. Alfresco Mobile 1.2 eliminates those obstacles and is now the premier enterprise content app for accessing and editing corporate documents on the go.
“Businesses have long been searching for a real solution that properly equips mobile devices for enterprise-grade content creation, and not just consumption,” said John Powell, CEO of Alfresco. “Alfresco Mobile 1.2 makes it possible for businesses to enable incredibly powerful mobile content collaboration within an IT environment that requires security and scalability. We’re very proud to be the first enterprise content management player to deliver on this need.”
Alfresco worked closely with Quickoffice to integrate deeply with their industry-leading mobile productivity apps. The integration brings the world’s best mobile content creation software together with the world’s leading open platform for document management. Businesses looking to implement a true enterprise solution for mobile content collaboration can now rest assured that tablet adoption within their organizations will be well-supported by proven and familiar enterprise productivity and collaboration apps.
“The ability to perform any work task through a cloud-connected mobile device is the future of the competitive mobile workforce,” said Alan Masarek, CEO, Quickoffice. “We are delighted to partner with Alfresco and integrate the Quickoffice app so users can create, share and access files in a robust and secure way.”
Enhancements & New Features in Alfresco Mobile 1.2 Include:
- App-to-app integration with Quickoffice allows users to open documents directly from Alfresco into Quickoffice, make edits, and immediately "Save Back"TM to Alfresco. Alfresco automatically updates the version number and metadata of the document, so changes can be rolled-back.
- Support for multiple Alfresco repositories, all accessible through a new in-app settings interface. Users can now download documents from different repositories to a common Downloads section.
- iPad friendly layout, with full-screen preview of any content type, including document, presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs and video files (with AirPlay integration)
- Integrated social features, such as the ability to "Like" documents and add Comments from iPhone or iPad
- Mobile view of your Alfresco activity feed that allows you to see what colleagues are doing in Alfresco
- “Open In” functionality allows you to open documents from Alfresco in native iPhone & iPad apps
Additionally, Alfresco has worked with its strategic mobile development partner Zia (an Alfresco Platinum Partner) to open source the Alfresco mobile app. Developers, customers and partners can now take the Alfresco mobile app code and create custom mobile content apps for their companies or clients. Source code is available at: https://bitbucket.org/ziadev/alfresco-mobile
"We are thrilled to be a part of driving the technology of enterprise mobility with the development of Alfresco mobile 1.2," said Mike Mahon, CEO of Zia Consulting. "Mobile products like this play a key role in providing solutions for the new, 'content anywhere' environment that customers are demanding."
To download the apps, or to learn more, please visit: http://www.alfresco.com/products/mobile/
Alfresco is how great businesses share, organize and protect their content. Alfresco’s community includes thousands of customers, partners and developers in 55 countries across the globe.
Founded in 2005, Alfresco is headquartered in London, with US headquarters in Atlanta.